Increasing the amount of natural light in your residence by installing a skylight has myriad benefits. Skylights increase our exposure to sunlight, which plays a vital role in maintaining our optimal health condition. Indeed, sunlight promotes vitamin D production that increases serotonin production that improves our energy levels and positive feelings.
Moreover, skylights provide a great opportunity to get closer to nature; reduces the energy costs related to lighting and heating our homes. There are numerous benefits of installing skylights, but you need to learn how to install skylights effectively to get the best out of them.
Skylight Installation Tips
First things first, always make sure that your skylight is installed by experienced, qualified professionals. The installation procedure may take up to 4 hours and needs significant changes to the structure of your roof. When you work with skylight installation professionals, you can rest assured that the integrity of your roof is maintained and your skylight is installed in the correct position.
A professional installation is vital to ensure that the roof is in optimal condition to offer reliable support to a skylight. One of the most common problems homeowners face with their skylights is damage to the waterproofing properties of the roof. However, leaks around the skylights are quite common, but expert installation can surely reduce the risk of leaks. And homeowners are often protected by an installation guarantee. Thus, your skylight professional will be available at your service, if you find any problems with the skylight.
Nevertheless, if you have sound technical knowledge and have with tools and construction, you can consider installing the skylight yourself. Here are some skylight installation tips to keep in mind:
- Review all the local regulations to get the required permits and meet the environmental standards before installing your skylight.
- Meticulously read the installation instructions and follow them accordingly.
- Work only in dry weather.
- It is advised to avoid the installation locations that are shaded by trees and have chimneys, water channels or roof valleys around.
- Make sure to apply all adhesives and seals to dry surfaces.
- Follow all the basic safety precautions while installation – avoid installation near wet or slippery surfaces, wear a harness and proper footwear, and use a buddy to help you when climbing up and down ladders.
Remember, installing a skylight is not a layperson’s job. If you aren’t sure of your skills or abilities to complete the installation safely and effectively, the most ideal and cost-effective approach is to hire a professional.
Skylights are an attractive home addition that add value to your home and reduce energy costs. You will also love the warmth and brightness that come with exposing your home to the sun’s natural light.
At Priority Roofing, we specialize in high quality skylight installation, replacement and repair services in Guelph, Cambridge, Waterloo and Kitchener.