Holiday season is knocking on our doors. It is that time of the year when we gather with friends and family to celebrate joy and happiness. Here at Priority Roofing, we love the holiday season! Not just because of all the parties, meals, and vacations, but also because we find homeowners becoming more observant when it comes to potential roof repairs.
Have you taken that ladder and placed it up against your home to climb up and staple on the holiday decorations yet? If not, please remember the safety tips when decorating your home so that you can spend your holidays with your family instead of making a trip to the hospital.
When dealing with lights and electrical equipment:
- Shops for lights and other electrical decorations only from reputable retailers.
- Prior to use, carefully inspect the lights and decorations for cracks, loose or bare wires and damaged sockets – these defects can cause serious shock or fire.
- Do not exceed the maximum number of strings that should be connected together. Carefully read the specific instructions on the packaging.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets.
- Before replacing the bulbs, or attempting repairs, make sure to unplug electric lights, decorations and devices.
When climbing up on the roof and decorating:
- Properly secure lights, cords and decorations to prevent damage from wind, snow and ice.
- Never staple or nail through electrical wires in any way that might cause damage to the wire or insulation. This could cause shock or fire.
- Keep yourself and your decorations at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Use fiberglass or wooden ladders when putting up lights and electrical decoration on your roof as these ladders are poor conductors of electricity.
- Always have someone with you to help you in case of a fall or an injury.
- While on your roof, carefully inspect the surface for damaged, chipped or missing shingles and other problem areas.
- Make sure your decorations are protected from weather and are at a safe distance from flammable items.
Keep these tips in mind when decorating your home this holiday season.
If you have questions about your roof, feel free to give us a call at 519-489-2032. Priority Roofing is proudly serving residential areas across Guelph, Cambridge, Waterloo and Kitchener.
We are home to some of the most skilled and most experienced roofing contractors. Our services include but are not limited to roofing shingles, roof repair, residential roofing, sun tunnels and skylights. We also offer free roof estimates or job estimates.